Parliament Tour – Non-Sitting Day
On a non-sitting day the Members of Parliament are not using the House of Assembly and Legislative Council chambers, allowing the students to sit in the seats of the chambers.
Students participate in a 60 minute all-access tour of Parliament House hosted by their local Member of State Parliament. The tour covers:
- levels of government
- the separation of powers
- the role of Parliament
- the role of Members of Parliament
- interesting historical facts and conventions connected to the Parliament of South Australia
The tour includes a visit to the:
- Old Chamber;
- House of Assembly;
- Legislative Council; and
- Parliamentary Research Library (if time permits)
The students will not be able to watch Parliament sit.
Students should have a basic understanding of the 3 levels of government and the separation of powers prior to the tour.
29/01/2018 – 14/12/2018
9.00am to 5.30pm (to be negotiated on booking with local Member)
Level: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Area: HASS - Civics and Citizenship, HASS - History
Type: Special Program
Participants: Maximum 33 students
Duration: 60 minutes
ALL school visits must be booked in advance.
Programs may be booked individually or in the following combinations:
- Parliament Tour – Sitting Day + Question Time Viewing – Sitting Day
- Parliament Tour – Non-Sitting Day + Debate – Non-Sitting Day
Booking instructions for Tours & Debates:
Find the state electorate that your school falls within
- Call the electorate office
- Coordinate a time for the program (or program combination) of your choice
- Your program will be hosted by your school’s local Member of State Parliament, or their electorate office staff
Don’t know your school’s electorate? Go to the Electoral Commission of SA’s website and try the Interactive Boundaries Map.
It is recommended that you have a selection of dates and times to present to the electorate office to work around the Member’s availability.
Booking instructions for Question Time Viewing only (no tour):
Contact the House of Assembly
Organising your visit
Please consider whether a sitting day or a non-sitting day is best for your class – the sitting calendar is available on the Parliament of SA’s website.
Allow extra time before your tour starts to clear through a security screening
Secure storage is available for school bags
Public toilets are available
Water bottles are the only item permitted on school tours